Creating a Culture of Calling
Called to Live Lives of Meaning and Purpose
A Vibrant Faith Initiative 2018-2021
What is C3?
We’re Creating Cultures of Calling with 24 churches from eight denominations throughout the United States in a hub for innovation around the theme of “calling” and known as the C3 Initiative. Teams from our C3 churches work with Vibrant Faith Coaches to “Create a Culture of Calling” in their churches over the span of three years. We’ve been at this for a year together. You can see some of the programs and activities of the churches at C3 Project Online: C3projectonline.org
Here’s what we’re discovering:
- THAT a Calling Spirituality is a different way of seeing the world.
- THAT a Calling Spirituality asks us to engage specifics of people’s journeys. Getting to the specifics and particularity of people’s lives is key.
- THAT creating a Culture is an adaptive change process for a church.
- THAT a theme that forms faith (like “Calling”) can and does help people make adaptive change happen throughout the entire church.
To learn more about the transformational power of Creating a Culture of Calling at your church, email Nancy at email@example.com.
This work is made possible by a grant from Lilly Endowment Inc. through its Called to Lives of Purpose Initiative. Vibrant Faith is one of 12 organizations receiving grants to help form innovation hubs that assist congregations in developing and testing new ministry models to help Christians discover and claim their callings.
Outcomes of the C3 Initiative
Through this initiative, Vibrant Faith and the 24 participating congregations are working together to produce three major outcomes:
- Congregations will create a congregational culture where calling is infused into all aspects of church life.
We should see evidence of:
a) The concept of “calling” permeating the life of the community, its ministries, and relationships among people
b) people participating in formation experiences and engaging in sharing stories of callings
c) people describing who they are (identity) and how they live in terms of their callings
- Congregations will develop a lifelong approach to discovering callings and nurturing vocation.
- Congregations will nurture calling and vocation with people of diverse religious engagement—those actively engaged in living their faith and participating in the faith community and those who are spiritual but not religious (not involved in a faith community) and those who are unaffiliated religiously and spiritually.