JOIN A COHORT GROUP
- Join a community of curious leaders to learn, reflect and reinvent.
- Create a vision and plans for living and leading well for this year.
- List norms in your life and ministries that help or hinder your plans.
- Learn about available resources to support you and your ministries.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Meet with peers for 5 sessions to discuss, dream, and design a 1-page plan.
- Create and implement a plan that’s meaningful to you and your church.
- Discern which tools and resources are needed to fulfill your plans.
- Set aside 2-3 hours between sessions to read, dream, and plan.
- Enjoy participating in one or more 5-session cohort groups during 2021.
LEARN TO LEAD WELL
WHAT IS THE PROCESS LIKE?
- The cohort meets for 60 minutes via Zoom for five sessions.
- Conversations continue online via Leading Well FacebookGroup.
- Articles and questions are posted for participants via Facebook Group.
- Watch micro-lectures and short-video clips related to cohort themes.
- Cohort groups may include pastors, deacons, and faith formation leaders.
- Groups are facilitated by experienced Vibrant Faith coaches.
- What is shared in the group stays within the group. Confidentiality is critical.
- Participants have access to a library of resources to support their intentions.
Register below for one or more of our
upcoming 5-Session cohort groups
About Leading Well
Our Philosophy and Approach to Leading Well
Leading Well is a “learning retreat” open to all types of church leaders.
It is for anyone who works with paid staff or volunteers in the context of a church. This includes those who are newly called to leading in ministry and those who wish to sharpen their skills. Pastors, Discipleship Coordinators, Deacons, Youth Directors, Children’s Ministry leaders, Worship leaders, Judicatory leaders, program staff, and anyone else who feels the call to follow Christ through service in the Church are all welcome.
Our events are a unique blend of practical learning and sabbath rest, with a focus on the leader as a whole person. Presentations cover everything from technological tools for ministry to leveraging conflict as an opportunity for growth.
Our facilitators understand they are more than presenters; they are the stewards of the event. The wisdom shared at the event will come from their prepared materials and much comes from YOU – the leaders who attend, each bringing your own gifts and diverse experiences. Many of our past participants have commented that their greatest “takeaways” came from synthesizing the content with fellow colleagues who also attended!
Each participant leaves the event with a “Leadership Formation Plan” tailored to their context, gifts, and present needs.
“A great week of learning, collaborating with colleagues, connecting with those who face similar challenges, and feeling refreshed and renewed for ministry.”
This is the single richest continuing education experience I have had in my 14 years of ministry! Rich worship, rich Sabbath, rich sharing with colleagues, rich self-reflection, rich new ideas and a plan to move forward.
“The balance between Sabbath rest, beautiful scenery, collegiality, learning and worship is the best I’ve ever experienced.
It provides an example of how my life could be all the time.”
Leading Well Learning Retreats
We have temporarily replaced our annual Learning Retreats with our 5-month Leading from the Well programming until we can ensure the safety of our attendees. If you would like to register for a Leading from the Well 5-month program, you can fill out the form above.
Leading Well can help leaders…
- improve staff and volunteer management
- think through strategy and staffing challenges in congregations
- deepen your sense of call, worship, retreat, and collegial support
Our four-day Learning Retreats
Our four-day training experience for pastors, deacons, and church leaders offers a unique blend of practical skill development along with worship, retreat, and sharing of best practices. Come and learn with and from your talented colleagues across the country.
- Refine your capacity to work effectively with staff and volunteers.
- Explore your gifts, strengths and values, and their implications for leadership
- Practice what it means for you to live and lead well.
- Learn ways to interpret your ministry context.
- Take time for worship, prayer, rest, and fellowship.
“Leading Well has given me support, space, and resources to navigate change in life and ministry.”
Cost | What is Included
Individual Rates include program tuition and vary based on room occupancy, if you stay onsite, and if you are a Siebert Grant recipient.
On-site housing includes 9 full meals, 3 night’s lodging and hospitality. On-site meals and hospitality are also included in the Commuter rate.
Double Occupancy – $875 per person
Single Occupancy – $975 per person
Commuter – $675 per person
SIEBERT GRANT (Double) – No charge
SIEBERT GRANT (Single) – $150
Non-participating Spouse – $475
Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center hosts our AZ retreat each November. Between programming, participants can hike, explore the outdoor labyrinth, or soak in the pool or hot tub.
The Duncan Center hosts our FL retreat each January. Participants have access to the beach, outdoor & indoor labyrinths, a pool, and hot tub.
“The blend of learning, sabbath, and collegial support inspires and keeps me going throughout the year. Thanks for your hard work and the intentionality around this event.”
DAY 1 – Tuesday
Reflections & stories about living well
Reflections & stories about leading well
Listening & learning as spiritual practices
Learning to be present & curious
DAY 2 – Wednesday
Storytelling as the basis for discipleship
Storytelling as the basis for stewardship
Embedding storytelling into our churches
DAY 3 – Thursday
Embracing disruptive changes as doors to deeper mission
Anticipating & preparing for disruption
Moving people beyond their comfort zones
DAY 4 – Friday
Creative crowd-sourcing session
Using crowd-sourcing in our congregations
Naming our ONE THING and ONE WORD
“I’m profoundly appreciative of the vulnerable spaces Leading Well creates. This is a sacred community, and Spirit in the Desert is a sacred place. It restores my soul!”
LEADING WELL RETREAT FACILITATORS
Your facilitators for the retreat include:
More from leaders who have attended Leading Well Retreats
Thank you. What a generous gift to the church leader and congregation! The impact of this conference might be small or completely transformative as participants leave with a heart and tool box full of ideas, full of resources with no shame attached to outcomes.
Leading Well guided me in facing my doubts with confidence and enhanced my God-given ability to be a leader in Christ’s church.
Leading Well is restorative learning. I feel supported and encouraged by colleagues across the country. There is a wealth of ideas that gives me the voice I need to continue to be a healthy leader.
I need more of these kinds of events in my life to help me have less stress/frustration in my ministry life.
My time at Spirit in the Desert has been rich with learning, reflection, rest and renewal; I’m energized to return to my congregation supported by the wisdom and insights of the leaders and my colleagues.
I came to Leading Well overwhelmed, troubled, and uncertain of a viable healthy path forward with regards to my ministry and personal health. I leave still overwhelmed, but feeling lighter, better equipped, hopeful and blessed to have a new community to support me.